The Magic of Sous Vide

I enjoy cooking and learning new methods of making delectable tasty treats.

When I first heard of Sous Vide I was skeptical about how this was all going to work, yet if the finest restaurants used this method, why not the home chef too?



I ended up with a Kitchen Gizmo Sous Vide machine, then the rest I culled from my kitchen such as a pot of water, zipper food baggies and a spring clamp. Add food and cook!

At the market, I searched for discounted must sale meats. I found these huge Dolly Parton chicken breasts so I came home with those as my first test dish. I made a simple homemade teriyaki sauce with Braggs amino acids, honey, ginger, garlic, orange juice and a splash of wine.

Since each breast was jumbo sized, I used two zipper baggies placing one breast half the sauce in each one. I did the water immersion technique to squeeze out the very last bit of air so each baggie would appear to be vacuum sealed. Then I separated them on the side of the pot of water with a spring clamp to hold them in place.

The idea is to let the Sous Vide machine circulate hot water around the food with out the baggies getting sucked into the little aerator pump.

I set the temperature to 145F per the cooking chart and settled on one hour. At the end of the cooking time, I wasn't satisfied with the results, so I added another half hour. These breasts were mammoth! Matter of fact, I used two plates to serve them at the neighborhood potluck garnished with pineapple chunks.

A dozen neighbors tried the teriyaki chicken and found it moist, tender, and tasty. Some went back for seconds. None of them had heard of Sous Vide but I think they were sold on the concept too after tasting the tender tasty  chicken.

Kitchen Gizmo, Simplified Sous Vide Immersion Circulator - Precise and Even Cooking Without the Fuss 


No comments:

Post a Comment